Friday, August 05, 2005

Ron Mier - monotype artist

The most money I ever spent at one time in my life was to purchase a piece of art that I fell in love with at Santa Fe market.

Ron Mier was the artist. He laughed at me as I kept returning again and again to his stall. I was mesmerized. I don't know much about monotype creation, but what I do know is that they way Ron Mier does it, the results are an intricate network of layers and layers of color and texture and pattern. I'm not sure why, but his art fascinates me. It's the kind of art you have to be very close to for twenty minutes at a time at least -- preferably longer.

What I think is really interesting about art is how there can be a disconnect between how much you love art that affects you and yet still have very little connection to the artist who creates it. I love Ron's work, no doubt. I thought initially that meant I would love Ron, too. I'm not sure if he was flirting with me, but we did go out to dinner at Il Vicino. Part of the awkwardness was me trying desperately to figure out whether he was gay, but mostly, we just didn't have anything to say to each other. His art speaks to me, but his person? Nada.

All of this to say that he's having a show opening tonight with an artist talk and reception:

August 5-September 21, 2005 Lasting Impressions: Monotypes by Ron Mier and Barbara van Buskirk Opening Reception: Friday, August 5, 2005, 5-8 p.m. (First Friday ArtsCrawl). Artists Talk at 7 p.m.

Next First Friday ArtsCrawl: September 2, 2005; 5-8 p.m.

The Fisher Gallery, 1620 Central Avenue S.E. (one block west of University), Albuquerque, NMGallery Hours: Monday-Thursday 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m.-12 Noon, Saturday 10 a.m.-4 p.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment