Monday, November 08, 2021

Leadership

I've been consuming Brene Brown podcasts, my new favorite source for soul searching epiphanies, but also just daily life hacks about how to be a better person, live my story, set boundaries, and lead others by showing up in the ways that reinforce the culture of vulnerability, trust, and accountability. 

In the past few days, I've listened to the Dare to Lead interviews with Jim Collins, Charles Duhigg, and Doug Conant. They all talk about habits as the discipline to live your values every day and hold yourself accountable. Jim Collins seems to go overboard with this by tracking his time into 3 buckets -- creativity/curiosity/learning, teaching, and other things that need to get done -- and setting the goal to spend 1,000 hours in each rolling 365 day period on creativity/curiosity/learning. Charles Duhigg says that habits = discipline and commitment but also that they are a short-cut to flow. Our brains rely on heuristics to be able to focus on what's novel and important. The more we can develop practices around what's meaningful, the easier it is to access deeper thinking and focus. I feel that's true, even if I'm not sure I've experienced that much, at least recently. 

It's been true of writing for me. I know the times in my life when I was writing more every day, I wrote better more easily and wrote better -- deeper thoughts, easier process. It's the difference between when you're learning a new sport and have to think about every move versus when you're good enough that you stop thinking about HOW to play and just play. Much more enjoyable, easier, and definitely more successful.  

One thing that has bothered me about these conversations is that race has only glancingly been mentioned. I feel like race is a big part of the conversation when people of color are being interviewed, but when white people are interviewed -- even when concepts seem so ripe and like such opportunities for applying them to racial equity moments -- Brene doesn't go there. I'm not sure if she just isn't seeing it, thinking about it, or ... It feels colorblind racist to me. Like she's primed to think about race with POC, but clearly white people are just talking to everyone, and it's universally applicable! Frustrating. I think it would be fun for Brene to have a Leslie Jones version of the podcast, where she can just Mystery Science Theater 3000 the conversation and translate everything they're saying from a race lens. 

Charles Duhigg went there a little, and seemed to say that he can see his white privilege because he grew up in Albuquerque's South Valley (!) and that his wish is that everyone can experience that same sense of limitless potential. Hmmm. Little cringy. I wonder how that would land for POC listeners. 

Doug Conant talked about firing 300 of the top 350 leaders at Campbell Soup when he took over as CEO, and Brene didn't press him on why that was needed. They couldn't be trained? And now this guy is a leadership trainer? And it never came up that maybe there was a missed opportunity there? Or at least .. some irony given what he does (for free) now?

I wish Brene would debrief the conversations a little, like Dax Shepherd and Monica Padman do on Armchair Expert. I feel like she might see some of these holes / opportunities when she has a bit more distance, and I'd love to hear what she THINKS after and about these interviews. Maybe with her sister Barrett and Tarana Burke? YES.

All the ones I've listened to lately have definitely been really good back-and-forth conversations, and they've inspired me to think about who I want to be as a leader, how I want to show up, how I spend my days compared to what I say I value.

"Everybody's written on habits. Well, that's part of the process. Life is not epiphany-driven. We're all looking for the epiphany... 'I just need an epiphany a big idea, and I'm going to break through.' Life is a grind, and we've got to find a way to thrive in the grind of it all. It's all about progressive improvement, continuous improvement, doing a little better today than we did yesterday with a little more intentionality. And I have found that you can actually build your leadership muscle and get unstuck in small ways over time in a way that can be immediately more fulfilling." - Doug Conant

I don't really know how I show up as a leader. My team only seems barely functioning, and my senior leaders left, so ... maybe not good. But I think one of my strengths is mentoring people to keep developing in their careers, which means, people outgrow their positions and look for bigger opportunities elsewhere.

I don't feel I have the power to protect my folks or shield them from the unrelenting pressures and political monkeying that has us jerked around and buried under too many urgent have-tos. Maybe that's more of why people leave. 

Do I spend my time on what I value? Days ago I was questioning my weekly check-ins with each of my direct reports. It's 30 minutes weekly that's in my calendar in case they want/need my time, and it's up to them whether we meet or skip it so they can "keep rolling." More often than not, we meet. And sometimes it's for an hour. We talk about tasks, I have time to give more context or answer questions, and often we focus on professional development goals and opportunities. But it does mean that 1/2 my day every week is given over to others' priorities. But it's an investment in my people, and I do value that! Maybe I should ask everyone.

And this promotion! The not knowing is so hard. I feel like I'm interviewing every day. And how to do you say no to things or admit you're over your head and drowning when they're deciding whether to give you more responsibilities???

Impossible situation. 

And part of me is DARING them to not promote me. See how fast I'm out the door and let all these plates fall. And maybe that would be a good thing. Maybe even the best thing. Let someone else take ownership. Maybe they will have solutions that I can't see and wouldn't be open to even if I did. That's hard. Because I still feel like I'm the best at what I do. 

But what should I be better at?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment