Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Chicago Elegy - An Abortion Poem

 January 2000


I.

Brown grows between my legs --

I am no longer a mother.


Self can be constructed    deconstructed --

I can create and destroy.


Chicago makes magic        blue and fluid like michigan's lake

                                            black and red like that day

                                                              like that hole

                                                              like that blood not my blood

                                                                            blood no longer my blood

                                                                            blood no longer blood

Until the day I no longer bleed.

I am still bleeding.


II.

White catches brown -- 

I am free.


Time can be taken    given -- 

What they took I am given.


Chicago gives life on a day white covers streets like sheets

                                                                            like ice packs

            takes life in a wash of sweat

                                a swirl of brown and red

            takes a life not my life

            gives life no longer my life

Until the day I move on.

I am not moving.


III.

Blood red moon over gold -- 

I am an aunt    not a mother.


Being separate I am alone    not alone -- 

Distance and time makes me free.


Chicago fills the spirit with gold moon fire

                                            (gold light ripples on black)

            empties the body of unrecognized souls

                                            (blood red moon over gold -- 

                                                    we are free

                                                    you are me

                                                                 not me

                                                    you will never be

                                                                                me

                                                                   never be without me

                                                    you can never be free)

        ensconces the self among bodies    friends

        carries in the winds the sounds of home

        lifts my spirit wrapped in wind 

        and takes me home

               carries me home

               plunges me home in the dark, cold waters where it all began

                                                                                   where all life began

                                                                                   where everything begins

Until the day it begins for me.

It has already begun.

                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment