Saturday, July 25, 2020

Living Deeply

Today was Alicia Hawkins' memorial on Zoom. I'm watching the postlude now.

What a life well-lived.

Her granddaughter shared that her grandmother's love and equanimity was home. I want to live there!

She taught dozens and dozens of people - a dozen at a time - how to listen and love in covenant.

She worked, bringing value and peace wherever she went. Christine shared a story that she would offer to help people in ways that they wouldn't take as a criticism. She learned offering to do laundry was usually safe! So she did lots and lots of laundry.

I am feeling that I have failed the lesson she was offering me for years - how to live more deeply, listen more deeply, question more deeply.

And in this COVID moment, it's a lesson that I need more than ever. I am approaching middle age feeling very nervous about what I will have to show for my life. Whether I could go out with the grace that Alicia did. Knowing she had tended to all she could. Visited widely. Thought deeply. Loved deeply and well.

May her light shine in all who commit to shining for themselves and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment