Monday, September 18, 2006

Gospel (poem) by Philip Levine

The new grass rising in the hills, 
the cows loitering in the morning chill, 
a dozen or more old browns hidden 
in the shadows of the cottonwoods 
beside the stream bed. I go higher 
to where the road gives up and there’s 
only a faint path strewn with lupine 
between the mountain oaks. I don’t 
ask myself what I’m looking for. 
I didn’t come for answers 
to a place like this, I came to walk 
on the earth, still cold, still silent. 
Still ungiving, I’ve said to myself, 
although it greets me with last year’s 
dead thistles and this year’s 
hard spines, early-blooming 
wild onions, the curling remains 
of spider’s cloth. What did I bring 
to the dance? In my back pocket 
a crushed letter from a woman
I’ve never met bearing bad news 
I can do nothing about. So I wander 
these woods half sightless while 
a west wind picks up in the trees 
clustered above. The pines make 
a music like no other, rising and 
falling like a distant surf at night 
that calms the darkness before 
first light. “Soughing” we call it, from 
Old English, no less. How weightless 
words are when nothing will do. 

 – from, Breath, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment