Friday, March 17, 2006

Bitter

Today I'm bitter about love. Maybe I have time to think about it now.

There's this repeating image of the man who wants/respects/adores/admires me who just can't choose me, for whatever reason. I'm sick of it.

To indulge this little pity-party moment, a selection of past poems of love and bile:

Strength

Ice fault lines shift with starlight winds

you shivering with fear that is not cold

me stroking shed skin

realizing suddenly

I have always been alone.


What was it you saw in my face

peering down darkness

edged with dashboard lights?

Could you have taken the thread

to unhem my patched-up life

left the pattern

sewn up a future

like trousseau

in the folds of myself?


Strength is smiling into half-dead eyes

feeling the air rushing past

falling into unlined pit

knowing if I get there

no one will help me land

jumping in anyway

again and again and again and again.

Fall 2002


Resolve

She couldn’t see past the feel of disappointment

that heard her lying to herself

and rebelled.


He couldn’t smell the rotten parts

atrophying in the narrowed sites

of his once-straight desire.


In all the wrong ways

they were together

apart


the solution

to all the problems

their love began.


He croaked and she twittered

but the bird and the frog

both grounded


hunkered down and unfeeling

larger

smaller


wetter

than the rigid noose solution

of their falling-apart love.

June 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment