Sunday, September 29, 2024

Special Meetings

 Life has gotten busy again. Teaching, working, mothering, and churching. I've said yes to things that serve me or that I can serve through skills I enjoy. All good things. 

And yet, they've coalesced into 2 months that feel more than full, a little frantic, a little frenetic, a little too much. 

Last week, I didn't do yoga AT ALL. !!! Not good!!!

"Rise up and hear your calling..." we sing in church. Yes, ok. But can my calling pace itself a little?

Good lord. 

And in the meantime, "I am grateful for the winding road that brought me to this place," the choir leader has us sing. 

Yep, so grateful for all these opportunities. I am. And I'm trying to remember to take things one at a time, just in time, and let that be enough. 

It's a lesson that my kids actually have learned, somehow. They are both really good at choosing where to put their effort, giving themselves permission to skate through some things, get Bs, do just enough - or let what they do in the time they have be enough. I remember my mother trying to tell me that it was ok to get Bs. (And then try to tell me I couldn't do my homework in front of the tv. I told her when I didn't have straight As, then she could tell me to turn off the tv. That never happened.) But the lesson never stuck. 

Today, our community minister reminds us that in the everlasting now, we are joined by all other beings in their search for meaning and purpose. And... even better news ... there were many who came before and many who will come after. (So take a breath, keep perspective, and do what you can. Let the rest go.)

And so, a special meeting that was a to-do for me turns into a meeting of past and present doers, who all hold the flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment